Why You Should Never Lie on Your Resume

by admin on August 23, 2019 in Ask a Recruiter, Dallas IT Recruiting


Hiring managers report spotting lies in applicants’ resumes at an ever-increasing rate. As the old saying goes – 75% of hiring managers say they have uncovered lies in resumes. The other 25% didn’t read very carefully.

The inconsistencies range from slight exaggerations to full-blown fiction. Perhaps someone thinks it will look impressive to fudge their past job titles a bit. Another may fabricate a college degree to land a job that requires one. Whatever the reason, it is not a good idea to lie on your resume. The odds are that you’ll get caught and that comes with consequences. You could be eliminated from the candidate pool and sent on your way. Even worse, you could do irreparable damage your reputation and that can follow you around for your entire career. It’s not worth the risk, and it simply isn’t right. Hiring managers have a lot of tools at their disposal to verify your resume. You’ll likely get caught, and here’s how it will likely go down.

Call Your Old School

If you didn’t graduate from that Ivy League school, don’t say you did. Your educational credentials are easily verified, and you can count on the hiring manager verifying them.

Online Discrepancies

Most people have a digital footprint. Searching social media accounts, news reports, articles, etc. has emerged as methods of corroborating resumes.

Connect the Dates

Bending the truth about employment dates is the most common fib on resumes. Applicants will sometimes expand their employment dates to cover a work gap or hide a short-term job. This is very easy to verify. Past employers may not provide performance history or disciplinary action, but they will always provide specific dates of employment.

Background Checks Don’t Add Up

Many employers will perform background checks on candidates. Thorough background checks can uncover lies about your criminal history, education, work history, licenses held, etc. It’s best to assume an employer will perform a background check, and simply tell the truth.

Incompetence Arises

Let’s say that you were successful with your exaggerations and landed your dream job. This could easily become your nightmare job when you show up to work without the skills needed to perform your job. This is much more difficult to fake and could end with you losing your job.

Danielle Foppe is a Recruitment Manager at Business Centric Technology. If you are interested in learning more about how to get the best IT talent in the Dallas metroplex, contact Danielle specializes in recruiting IT talent in Dallas, Ft. Worth and North Texas. If you are looking for a rewarding career contact us today.